About Linda L. Burk, MD
When it comes to your eyes it is very important that you choose the opthamologist with your best interests in mind. Dr. Burk is a specialist in lens surgery and has implanted over 4000
AcrySof® ReSTOR® lenses. In addition to Cataract surgery with the
AcrySof® ReSTOR®, Dr. Linda Burk treats patients suffering with Glaucoma and Corneal disease.
Trust the opthamologist with the experience and education to improve your vision.
1972-1976 - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan (B.S. with distinction)
1976-1980 - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan (M.D.)
- 1980-1981 - Internal Medicine Internship, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois
- 1982-1984 - Ophthalmology Residency, Duke University Eye Center, Durham, North Carolina
- 1985 - Glaucoma Fellowship, Duke University Eye Center, Durham, North Carolina
- 1985-1987 - Cornea and External Disease Fellowship, Emory University Eye Center, Atlanta, Georgia
MANAGERIAL / LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE:
- Member of Transplant Services Center Advisory Committee, Institutional Standing Committee, The Univ. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Texas 1995
- Section Chief, Ophthalmology, Methodist Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 1995
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology Residency Teaching Program, Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, Texas 1988 - Present
- Chief of Ophthalmology, Medical City of Dallas, Texas 2001
- Assistant Chief of Ophthalmology Medical City of Dallas, Texas 2002
- Honorary Chairman Physicians' Advisory Board in Texas, National Republican Congressional Committee, 2002
ACADEMIC AWARDS AND HONORS:
- 1972 - University of Michigan Regents Alumnae Scholar
- 1973 - Hopwood Literary Award, University of Michigan
- 1973, 74, 76 - Academic Honors, University of Michigan
- 1975-1976 - Mortar Board, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1977-1980 - Galens Medical Society, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1980 - Dean's Award for Research, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1992 - Two Thousand Notable American Women
- 2003 - Clinical Faculty 15 Years of Service Award, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS:
- 1977-1979 - University of Michigan Medical Student Research Grant, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1985 - Heed Foundation Fellowship
- 1985-1986 - Fight for Sight Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 1986-1987 - Heed Foundation/Knapp Fellowship
- 1986-1987 - Southern Medical Association Research Grant
- 1981 - National Board of Medical Examiners
- 1985 - American Board of Ophthalmology
- 1986 - Federation of State Medical Boards of the United States (FLEX)
- 1981 - Illinois - (036-062538)
- 1981 - Michigan - (044258)
- 1985 - North Carolina - (28737)
- 1985 - Georgia - (27355)
- 1987 - Texas - (H2998)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- International Society of Reftactive Keratplasty
- Texas Medical Association
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Galens Medical Society
- Texas Ophthalmology Association
- Burk, L., Planet, G., and Fox, I.H.: Pyrimidine nucleotide biosynthesis: A comparison of normal and purine enzyme deficiencies. Clin. Res. 25:581A, 1977.
- Fox, I.H., Burk, L., Planet, G., Goren, M., and Kaminska, J.: Mechanisms ofimmWlodeficiency in purine enzyme deficiencies: A study of pyrimidine nucleotide synthesis. Clin. Res. 26:376A, 1978.
- Fox, I.H., Burk, L., Planet, G., Goren, M., and Kaminska, J.: Pyrimidine nucleotide biosynthesis: A study of normal and purine deficient cells. J. BioI. Chem. 253:6794-6800, 1978.
- Edwards, N.L., Gelfand, E.W., Burk, L., Dosch, H-M, and Fox, I.H.: Distribution of5' nucleotidase in human lymphoid tissue. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 76:3474-3476, 1979.
- Edwards, N.L., Burk, L., and Fox, I.H.: Purine metabolism in purine nucleoside phosphylase deficiency. IN: Pollara, B,. Neuwissen, H.H., and Porter, I.H. )Eds.), Inborn errors of specific immWlity. Birth Defects Symposium IX, Academic Press, Inc., 1979.
- Edwards, N.L., Burk, L., Gelfand, E.W., Dosch, H-M, and Fox, I.H.: Variations 0[5' nucleotidase activity in human mononuclear cells. Clin. Res. 27:324A, 1979.
- Burk, L. Edwards, N.L., Gelfand, E.W., Dosch, H-M, and Fox, I.H.: 5' nucleotidase: A marker for T-Iymphocyte populations. Clin. Res. 27:715A, 1979.
- Burk, L. and McPherson , S.D., Jr.: Argon laser trabeculoplasty. Proceedings of Resident's Day. Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Eye Center and McPherson Hospital. 2:27, 1983.
- Burk, L.L.Newton, C., and Klintworth, G.K.: Pathogenesis offibrocollagenous pannus in bullous keratopathy. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. ScL(Suppl.):ISO,1984.
- Burk, L.L., Shields, M.B., Proia, A.D., and McCuen, B.: Intraocular pressure following intravitreal silicone oil injection. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 26 (Suppl.):159, 1985.
- Newton, C., and Burk, L.L.: Glaucoma associated with keratoplasty. IN: Brightbill, F.S. (Ed.) Corneal Surgery: Theories, Techniques and Tissue. St. Louis, C.V. Mosby, 1986.
- Burk, L.L., Redjaee, B., Stulting, R.D., and Waring, G.O.: Changes in astigmatism after removal of individual sutures in penetrating keratoplasty. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. ScL(Suppl.):92, 1986
- Burk, L.L., Kindle, J.C., and Stulting, R.D.: Ocular Shedding ofHSV-l induced by iontophoresis of6-hydroxydopamine following lip inoculation. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. ScL(Suppl.):176, 1987.
- Harris, D.J., Jr., Waring, G.O., and Burk, L.L.: Photokeratoscopy in the management of astigmatism following penetrating keratoplasty. Ophthalmology 94:(Suppl.)125, 1987.
- Burk, L.L., Shields, M.B., Proia, A.D., and McCuen, B.: Intraocular pressure following intravitreal silicone oil injection for complicated retinal detachments. Ophthalmic Surgery 19:565, 1988.
- Burk, L.L., Redjaee, B., Waring, G.O. and Stulting, R.D.: Changes in astigmatism induced by removal of a suture in penetrating keratoplasty. Ophthalmic Surgery 19:849, 1988.
- Harris, D.J., Jr., Waring, G.O. and Burk, L.L.: Keratography as a guide to selective suture removal for the reduction of astigmatism after penetrating keratoplasty. Ophthalmology 96: 1597-1607, 1989.
- Silverstone, D.E., Brint, S.F., Olander, K.W., Stewart, R.H., Brotherman, D., Merten, J., Kaufman, P.L., Burk, L.L., deFaller, J.M, McCarty, G.H., and Taylor , R.B.: Efficacy and safety of iopidine in controlling postJaser TOPrise after Nd:Y AG posterior capsulotomy: Combined results of two independent multicenter trials. Ophthalmology 96:(Suppl.), 1989.
- Burk, L.L., Waring, G.O., and Harris, D.J., Jr.: Simultaneous and sequential selective suture removal after penetrating keratoplasty. Retract. Corneal Surg. 6: 179-187, 1990.
- Silverstone, D.E., Briot, S.F., Olander, K. W., Taylor, R.B., McCarty, G.R., deFaller, J.M., and Burk, L.L.: Prophylactic use of apraclonidine for intraocular pressure increase after Nd:Y AG capsulotomies. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 113:401-405,1992.
- Burk, L.L.: Clinical consultation: Cataract patient with chronic glaucoma. Ophthalmic Practice 10:3, 138-141, 1992.
- Newton, C., and Burk, L.L.: Glaucoma associated with keratoplasty, IN: Brightbill, F.S. (Ed.) Corneal Surgery: Theories, Techniques and Tissue. Second Edition. St. Louis, C.V. Mosby, 1993.
- Burk, L.L.: The Operation: Corneal Transplant Surgery. The Learning Channel. Episode aired April 22, 1993.
- Burk, D.W., and Burk, L.L.: Conjunctival autograft transplantation for primary and recurrent pterygium in Hispanic population.Presented at Texas Medical Association Annual Meeting, Section on Ophthalmology, May 14, 1993.
- Burk, L.L.: The Dry Eye. Good Morning Texas television presentation. Episode aired October 141994.
- Harris, DJ., Jr., Seedor, J.A., Burk, L.L.: Alternatives to the full-thickness corneal allograft. Instroction Course, Amer. Acad. Of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, November 1,1995.
Find out more about us and how you can see better; clearly better.